Calls For 2008, 2021 F1 Titles To Be Overturned

Lewis Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton

Felipe Massa has taken the first official step in suing Formula 1 authorities over the 2008 world championship outcome.

Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone triggered the action by admitting recently that the sport knew about the ‘crashgate’ scandal prior to the end of the season.

That may have handed the title to Brazilian Massa, now 42, rather than Lewis Hamilton.

“On August 15, (Massa’s) law firm sent a letter to Stefano Domenicali and FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem,” revealed Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.

The allegation is that initially ignoring Renault’s misconduct over the deliberate Nelson Piquet crash in Singapore of 2008 meant Massa was robbed of the world championship – including millions in earnings and the reputational consequences.

In the letter, Massa’s lawyer said the former Ferrari driver had been the “victim of a conspiracy”, with F1 and the FIA given two weeks to respond.

Both of F1’s authorities declined to comment, according to Reuters news agency, while 92-year-old Ecclestone is denying he even remembers making his recent comments.

On social media, some pointed out that if the outcome of the 2008 world championship is overturned, then so too should Max Verstappen be stripped of his 2021 title over the conduct of ousted race director Michael Masi in the Abu Dhabi finale.

“No, I’m not going to watch that again,” Verstappen tells De Telegraaf newspaper in a new interview. “I know I won.

“In the months after that race I looked back a bit, but at a certain point I only look forward.”

Want to save this information for later?

More in News

Red Bull Internal Battle Could Hand Title To Ferrari

FIA And Formula 1 Announce 2025 F1 Season Calendar

The FIA and Formula 1 have announced the 2025 F1 ...
McLaren Hid Innovative 'Mini Wing' At 2024 Car Launch

Fleeing McLaren Chief On Way To Struggling Alpine – Rumour

Alpine might soon get a much-needed technical boost in the ...
F1 Australian Grand Prix 2024

Ice-Cream Venture Won’t Be F1 Distraction – Charles Leclerc

Charles Leclerc insists he remains fully committed to Formula 1 ...
F1 Australian Grand Prix 2024

Carlos Sainz Says ‘Still No Idea’ About 2025 F1 Employer

Carlos Sainz says he still has "no idea" which Formula ...
Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya

Barcelona Still In Post-2026 F1 Contract Talks

Barcelona is not giving up on Formula 1, despite Madrid's ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle