Red Bull To Make Sergio Perez Decision Soon

2025 Red Bull Deal Still An option For Sergio Perez
2025 Red Bull Deal Still An option For Sergio Perez

A decision regarding Sergio Perez‘s future at Red Bull will be taken “soon”.

That is the news from the mouth of the team’s F1 consultant Dr Helmut Marko, amid reports the decision will be made ahead of the Spanish GP late next month.

As Formula 1 gathered in Monaco last week, reports suggested Perez, 34, had done enough this year to at least secure a new one-year deal.

But the Mexican then had a miserable weekend on the Principality’s streets – qualifying a dismal P16 and then sitting in a wreck on lap 1 – with Marko estimating the damage of his crash with Kevin Magnussen at up to 3 million euros.

Marko, 81, thinks Magnussen should have been penalised by the stewards, but not everyone in the paddock is putting the sole blame on the embattled Haas driver.

“If you want to blame someone, I lean more towards Perez than Magnussen,” said Chinese-Dutch racing driver Ho-Pin Tung, in conversation with nu.nl.

“Of course Magnussen was optimistic, but the stewards also look at how much space a driver is left. Perez wanted to stay on the ideal line, but there was still a lot of space on the left.

“On the onboard, you can also clearly see Perez looking in his right mirror. He might not have known that Magnussen was there, but perhaps he should have. Perez didn’t have to cut him off like that,” Tung added.

He also thinks Perez contributed to the crash by qualifying so poorly.

“When you’re so far back, the risk of being caught up in something like that is high. He really has to improve on that,” Tung said.

Marko admits that Perez needs to ensure he is consistently closer to Verstappen in the sister car.

“It is very difficult, if not impossible, for Sergio to perform at Max’s level,” he said. “But he does have to be closer.

“We need to analyse how things went so wrong,” Marko told Sky Deutschland.

Team boss Christian Horner agrees that with Ferrari now just 24 points behind Red Bull in the constructors’ standings, “it is extremely important for us that both cars earn points”.

Marko told Osterreich newspaper that a decision regarding Perez will be taken “soon”, taking into consideration how Ferrari and McLaren have dramatically closed the gap.

“We are now in the third year of the current regulations, and the others are copying us – some are copying better, and you see the result now at McLaren,” he said.

“But Ferrari has also constantly developed.”

Marko admits, however, that Perez was not totally to blame for his poor Monaco GP weekend.

“Our two drivers came to Monte Carlo enthusiastically, saying the car handled the kerbs really well in the simulator,” he said.

“But as soon as they were in the car, they said ‘undriveable!’.”

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

F1 Grand Prix Of Spain Practice

F1 In Madrid: What Does It Mean For Barcelona Beyond 2025?

Early in January 2024, Formula One confirmed the relocation of ...
Depositphotos 187122366 L

Remembering James Hunt, 31 Years On

June 15th, 1993, marked a somber day for Formula One. ...
Lando Norris, Mclaren Mcl38

Red Bull Concerned About F1 Rivals’ Front Wings

"Heated discussions" have been playing out behind the scenes in ...
Road America Indycar 2024

F1, MotoGP Owner Liberty Now Buys Formula E

Liberty, the John Malone-controlled group of entities, has added another ...
MONTREAL, QUEBEC - JUNE 09: Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (1) Oracle Red Bull Racing RB20 leads George Russell of Great Britain driving the (63) Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team W15 on track during the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 09, 2024 in Montreal, Quebec. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202406091153 // Usage for editorial use only //

Canada GP Officials React After Embarrassing F1 Event

Canadian race organisers and local officials have spent the week ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle