Fernando Alonso To Confront FIA Over Anti-Spanish Bias

Fernando Alonso
Fernando Alonso

Fernando Alonso says he will confront the president of F1’s governing body over concerns he is being treated unfairly because of his nationality.

In Miami, FIA stewards rejected an appeal lodged by Aston Martin against harsh penalties imposed on Spaniard Alonso for an on-track incident in China recently.

The two-time world champion was furious, insisting he now sees the sprint races as “useless” because he is so often penalised for trying to race his opponents.

And then in Saturday’s Miami sprint, F1 commentator Martin Brundle said Briton Lewis Hamilton had used the Aston Martins as “skittles” in an ambitious first lap move.

“I guess they won’t do anything because he (Hamilton) is not Spanish,” Alonso said immediately after the race.

“I think he ruined the races of a few people, especially (Lando) Norris, who had a very fast car. Today there was no penalty, but with me there is always a penalty,” the two-time champion told DAZN.

“I was behind (Esteban) Ocon and I could perhaps have taken a risk to overtake him, but logically I did not to avoid getting penalised again.

“I had no interest in the sprint race – we were just checking the degradation and things for the grand prix,” Alonso revealed. “For me it was a free practice, it was not really a race.”

As for his complaint about being unfairly treated by the FIA stewards, the Spaniard continued: “I have a feeling that nationality influences decisions.

“I’ll talk to Mohammed (Ben Sulayem), the FIA and so on. I need to make sure there is no problem with my nationality. This is not just about me, but also about the future generation of Spanish drivers who need to be protected.”

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

Daniel Ricciardo

Has Daniel Ricciardo Helped His RB Team In Any Way So Far?

Lest it is forgotten, Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo began his ...
Max Verstappen

Is Max Verstappen Making More Mistakes In 2024 Than He Has Previously?

After surprisingly missing out on the top step of the ...
F1teamsandcarstaketothehillclimbatthe2023festivalofspeed.ph.byjaysonfong.

Six Formula 1 Teams Confirmed To Attend The 2024 Festival Of Speed

Goodwood has today announced that six current Formula 1 teams ...
Helmut Marko

Helmut Marko On Red Bull’s Current Struggles

The 2024 car development saga appears to be an onerous ...
2024 Monaco Grand Prix, Saturday - Lewis Hamilton

Tension Building At Mercedes After Monaco Missteps

As Lewis Hamilton's claims in Monaco take on a new ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle