Fernando Alonso Blasts ‘Useless’ Sprint Races

Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin F1 Team
Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin F1 Team

Formula 1 drivers are continuing to rail against the controversial sprint weekend format.

Amid talk of an expansion of the concept from six to 12 grands prix for 2025, the tweaked format debuted in Shanghai recently and is in play once again in Miami.

“It felt a little weird (in China) having the sprint race and then you prepare again for qualifying,” admitted McLaren driver Oscar Piastri.

Sergio Perez added: “Opening the parc ferme has put a lot of extra workload on the mechanics and I think it’s something we really have to look at.”

With the harshest opinion of all, however, is F1 veteran Fernando Alonso. He was harshly penalised by FIA stewards for a clash with Carlos Sainz in the recent Shanghai sprint.

Aston Martin appealed the decision, but in Miami the case was thrown out.

“The decision surprises us,” team boss Mike Krack told DAZN, “but now we have to turn the page. We are now in Miami, we have another sprint weekend and we have to move forward.”

Alonso, though, remained furious about the situation even after qualifying eighth in Friday’s sprint qualifying in Miami.

“We will see what we can learn for the race, but the sprint is useless,” he told Spanish reporters in Miami.

“There are very few points at stake and they don’t let us compete because they keep penalising us. So it will be a boring day from outside – we will be on the car train but we will collect useful information at least.

“We haven’t done any long runs in practice and the sprint doesn’t mean anything,” Alonso, 42, continued. “Especially because we can’t fight or anything like that. We receive penalties for everything we do.”

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

Daniel Ricciardo

Has Daniel Ricciardo Helped His RB Team In Any Way So Far?

Lest it is forgotten, Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo began his ...
Max Verstappen

Is Max Verstappen Making More Mistakes In 2024 Than He Has Previously?

After surprisingly missing out on the top step of the ...
F1teamsandcarstaketothehillclimbatthe2023festivalofspeed.ph.byjaysonfong.

Six Formula 1 Teams Confirmed To Attend The 2024 Festival Of Speed

Goodwood has today announced that six current Formula 1 teams ...
Helmut Marko

Helmut Marko On Red Bull’s Current Struggles

The 2024 car development saga appears to be an onerous ...
2024 Monaco Grand Prix, Saturday - Lewis Hamilton

Tension Building At Mercedes After Monaco Missteps

As Lewis Hamilton's claims in Monaco take on a new ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle