Felipe Massa Sues F1 And FIA Over 2008 Championship Loss

Felipe Massa Sues F1 And FIA Over 2008 Championship Loss
Felipe Massa Sues F1 And FIA Over 2008 Championship Loss

Felipe Massa has taken legal action against Formula 1, seeking “justice” regarding the results of the 2008 world championship.

The ex-Ferrari driver, who has stepped back from his occasional duties as an F1 ambassador amid the dispute, requested a review of the events linked to the ‘crashgate’ scandal after remarks made by the former F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone last year.

Ecclestone said the sport had “enough information in time to investigate the matter” in 2008 and “cancel the (results of the) race in Singapore” prior to Lewis Hamilton being crowned as the champion of that season.

“Attempts to find an amicable resolution have been unsuccessful,” Massa’s lawyers have now declared, “leaving Mr Massa with no choice but to initiate legal proceedings.”

Those legal proceedings have now been filed in London’s High Court.

“Mr Massa also seeks damages for the significant financial loss he has suffered due to the FIA’s failure, in which Mr Ecclestone and FOM were also complicit,” the lawyers added.

Reports in the British newspapers cited a document showing that Massa, 42, is seeking at least $82 million.

And although Ecclestone is among those being sued, he was quoted as saying by the Guardian on Monday: “If he had asked me, I would have said it was the complete right thing to do, to sue, and to let an English judge decide what is right and wrong.”

Some, though, have heavily criticised the Brazilian driver for sour grapes.

Although FIA and Liberty Media-run F1 declined to comment, Massa told Brazilian broadcaster Globo on Monday: “I always said I would fight until the end.

“As the FIA and FOM have decided to do nothing, we will seek redress of this historic injustice in the courts. The matter is now with the lawyers and they are fully authorised to do whatever is necessary so that justice in the sport is done.”

Want to save this information for later?

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

Bahrain Grand Prix 2024

Alpine “In No Rush” To Announce Their 2025 Driver Line-Up

Contracts of both Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly with the ...
Si202310220022 Hires Jpeg 24bit Rgb

Stories Of The 2025 Season The Revealed Calendar Brings Us

Following a meeting of the World Motorsport Council, the Formula ...
Red Bull Internal Battle Could Hand Title To Ferrari

FIA And Formula 1 Announce 2025 F1 Season Calendar

The FIA and Formula 1 have announced the 2025 F1 ...
McLaren Hid Innovative 'Mini Wing' At 2024 Car Launch

Fleeing McLaren Chief On Way To Struggling Alpine – Rumour

Alpine might soon get a much-needed technical boost in the ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle