Father ‘Worried’ About Carlos Sainz’s Future In F1

Carlos Sainz
Carlos Sainz

Carlos Sainz’s father admits he is worried about the departing Ferrari driver’s future in Formula 1.

So impressive is the Spaniard’s current wave of form that he is so far even humbling his Ferrari teammate Charles Leclerc – who will be paired with Sainz’s replacement next year and beyond, Lewis Hamilton.

“I think because he is leaving Ferrari, he has become more relaxed,” said former F1 driver Vitaly Petrov. “I think Carlos is very motivated to show the excellent speed he is showing in order to get the best offer for next year.”

For now, Ferrari boss Frederic Vasseur is playing down the notion that he may have selected the wrong current Ferrari driver to pair with Hamilton.

“There are no conclusions to be drawn,” he said when asked about Leclerc’s current form by the Spanish newspaper AS.

“Charles is a fighter and you can’t be happy if your teammate is ahead, but he only finished a tenth from the second row (in qualifying), which is not a disaster. It’s not like he’s wrong by half a second,” Vasseur added.

As for Leclerc, he insists it’s not pressure or a lack of pace, but a struggle to get heat into his tyres for an ultimate qualifying lap.

“That’s kind of strange,” the Monegasque said, “because until now I’ve never had to focus on qualifying because that was one of our strengths.

“But it’s not the performance itself that’s wrong – it’s just warming up the tyres that has been giving me trouble lately.”

Sainz, 29, is linked with Red Bull, Mercedes, but also Audi-owned Sauber.

“People already know how available I am and how fast I am,” he is quoted as saying by Spanish newspapers.

“It’s a shame not to continue next year taking into account how good we are with Ferrari, with the mechanics and engineers. It makes me a little angry,” Sainz admits.

“On the other hand, it is true that it opens doors for me to go to another team to fight for the world championship, which we have been working on for three or four years at Ferrari.

“Now is the time to make important decisions – to know what options there are,” he added.

Sainz’s father and namesake has been at the grands prix so far this year to help sniff out the opportunities for 2025, but he was absent at Suzuka as he took part in the Trans-Iberian rally at the wheel of a Mini.

Whilst in Portugal for that event, 61-year-old Carlos Sainz said of his son: “He is very strong, yes, but at the moment we are still not clear about what is going to happen with his future.

“That is what worries me the most. At least Carlos is sending many very good messages and we hope they have an effect.”

As for whether Ferrari should have retained his son rather than Leclerc for the future, Sainz snr answered: “Logically it was not my decision and I do not think I am the right person to appropriately comment on that either.”

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

Trouble Brewing At Alpine After Monaco Incident

Trouble Brewing At Alpine After Monaco Incident

It would be "stupidity" if Alpine sidelined Esteban Ocon over ...
Adrian Newey

Ferrari No Longer Chasing Adrian Newey?

Ferrari may have stepped back from trying to secure the ...
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 26: Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (1) Oracle Red Bull Racing RB20 on track during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 26, 2024 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202405260949 // Usage for editorial use only //

Performance Problems A Mystery For Red Bull

The recent performance trend in Formula 1 is revealing an ...
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 26: The car of Sergio Perez of Mexico and Oracle Red Bull Racing is recovered from the track after crashing during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 26, 2024 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) *** BESTPIX *** // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202405260966 // Usage for editorial use only //

F1 Must React To Bizarrely Boring Monaco GP

As Charles Leclerc and Ferrari celebrated, the Formula 1 world ...
Scuderia Ferrari, team celebration, LECLERC Charles (mco), Scuderia Ferrari SF-24, portrait, victory during the Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2024, 8th round of the 2024 Formula One World Championship from May 23 to 26, 2024 on the Circuit de Monaco, in Monaco - Photo Eric Alonso / DPPI

Charles Leclerc Completes His Monaco Masterpiece

Charles Leclerc has finally shaken off his Monaco taboo, winning ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle