Aston Martin Boss Backs Recent Upgrades

pit lane, Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari, GP2407a, F1, GP, Italy Lance Stroll, Aston Martin AMR24, comes in for a pit stop
pit lane, Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari, GP2407a, F1, GP, Italy Lance Stroll, Aston Martin AMR24, comes in for a pit stop

Mike Krack insists Aston Martin will not be hitting reverse gear on the Formula 1 team’s latest major car upgrade.

Technical boss Dan Fallows went into Imola hailing an “aggressive” upgrade for Fernando Alonso and Lance Stroll’s cars. And while Stroll scored two points, Alonso qualified and finished an abysmal 19th.

Alonso’s advisor Flavio Briatore surmised that the team appears to be going “backwards”.

Team boss Krack admits: “We have homework to do and a lot to work on.

“We certainly see that this year the margins are getting smaller and as soon as you are on the wrong side of these small margins… it’s just so close,” he is quoted as saying by Spanish newspapers.

Krack disagrees with critics who suggest Aston Martin has been on a steady decline since the stellar opening part of the 2023 season, in which Alonso completed an impressive series of podiums.

“In Shanghai we were third on the grid,” Krack said. “So it hasn’t been very long.”

He also says Aston Martin is basically keeping development pace with the team’s main competitors.

“The other teams had the same list of improvements (at Imola). But we are not happy with two points, that’s clear,” said the German.

“Expectations are very high from last year. We try to be objective, but it’s difficult. With eight podiums, the bar is very high.

“But we have to understand how those podiums came about. Some teams had not done their homework when we had, and that put us in a position that we were not prepared for as a team. So we have to be realistic.”

He therefore denied that the “aggressive” Imola upgrade proved such a failure that Aston Martin should now backtrack to avoid a developmental dead-end.

“No, the update is definitely a step forward,” Krack insists. “There is no need to remove it.”

However, there’s no denying that Alonso finished second behind Max Verstappen at Monaco last year. Now, the Spaniard is worried that another poor qualifying result after Imola will make racing on the fabled streets of the Principality “torture”.

Krack said with a smile: “Yes, Monaco last year was Monaco last year. Now, Monaco this year is Monaco this year. So we will go there and see.”

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

Canadian Grand Prix, Sunday - George Russell leads Lewis Hamilton

Only FIA Can Clip Mercedes’ Front Wings Says Red Bull

Dr Helmut Marko admits Red Bull has concerns about the ...
F1 Grand Prix Of Emilia Romagna Practice & Qualifying

F1 CEO Not Worried About 2026 Rules Controversy

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali says he's confident the controversy surrounding ...
Aston Martin logo

Adrian Newey Visits Aston Martin For Private F1 Team Tour

The possibility that Adrian Newey will re-emerge at Aston Martin ...
MONTREAL, QUEBEC - JUNE 09: Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (1) Oracle Red Bull Racing RB20 arrives on the grid prior to the F1 Grand Prix of Canada at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 09, 2024 in Montreal, Quebec. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202406091146 // Usage for editorial use only //

Verstappen Will Reign Again: But Competition Is Key for Casual F1 Fans

After a pulsating Canadian Grand Prix, there was clearly a ...
Is F1 In Las Vegas In 2024

‘Affordable’ Las Vegas GP Ticket Slammed

One of the world's most respected specialist sports publications has ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle