Aston Martin ‘Better’ For Fernando Alonso Than Mercedes – Boss

Fernando Alonso
Fernando Alonso

Mike Krack is upbeat about the rising prospects of a contract extension for Fernando Alonso beyond 2024.

The Spaniard has been linked with top-team moves to Red Bull or Mercedes.

But at Suzuka, Dr Helmut Marko ruled out pairing the 42-year-old with Max Verstappen next year, whilst Alonso himself said stepping sideways to the struggling Mercedes team is not very “attractive”.

Since even before the season began, Alonso laid out clear conditions for staying with Aston Martin for another season. First, that he decides against returning to retirement, and second that the Silverstone based team continues to build towards becoming one of F1’s established top teams.

Team boss Krack told the Spanish broadcaster DAZN at Suzuka that the first real assessment of how 2024 is proceeding will be made after the fifth race – set to take place in Shanghai next weekend.

“We are taking the first five races as a reference to see where we are,” said the German. “And so far we were, overall, the fifth fastest team.

“Maybe sometimes close to fourth, which means you fight between being seventh or tenth normally.”

In reality, that’s not a step up compared to 2023, when Aston Martin finished fifth – behind Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes.

“We have to add more,” Krack admits. “Without a doubt we have to achieve more.

“But I think that if he can fight and not be in the middle of nowhere it is already a first step. And we are not going to stop there.”

With specific reference to Alonso and his 2025 deliberations, Krack continued: “We will keep bringing him new pieces throughout the season to keep him motivated and happy at Aston Martin.”

He also admits to being buoyed by Alonso’s remark at Suzuka that a move to Mercedes is “not attractive” at present.

“I think when you see what has happened in the last two or three years,” said Krack, “the progress that the teams have made, it is good to see that there is a possibility there at Mercedes but that perhaps it is better to stay here.”

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

Trouble Brewing At Alpine After Monaco Incident

Trouble Brewing At Alpine After Monaco Incident

It would be "stupidity" if Alpine sidelined Esteban Ocon over ...
Adrian Newey

Ferrari No Longer Chasing Adrian Newey?

Ferrari may have stepped back from trying to secure the ...
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 26: Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (1) Oracle Red Bull Racing RB20 on track during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 26, 2024 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202405260949 // Usage for editorial use only //

Performance Problems A Mystery For Red Bull

The recent performance trend in Formula 1 is revealing an ...
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 26: The car of Sergio Perez of Mexico and Oracle Red Bull Racing is recovered from the track after crashing during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 26, 2024 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) *** BESTPIX *** // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202405260966 // Usage for editorial use only //

F1 Must React To Bizarrely Boring Monaco GP

As Charles Leclerc and Ferrari celebrated, the Formula 1 world ...
Scuderia Ferrari, team celebration, LECLERC Charles (mco), Scuderia Ferrari SF-24, portrait, victory during the Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2024, 8th round of the 2024 Formula One World Championship from May 23 to 26, 2024 on the Circuit de Monaco, in Monaco - Photo Eric Alonso / DPPI

Charles Leclerc Completes His Monaco Masterpiece

Charles Leclerc has finally shaken off his Monaco taboo, winning ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle