Carlos Sainz To Mercedes In 2025 A Done Deal?

Carlos Sainz
Carlos Sainz

Multiple authoritative Italian newspapers are all citing insider sources who believe Carlos Sainz is set to race for Mercedes in 2025.

What was just speculation last week is inching closer to reality, thanks to the reports in black and white at La Gazzetta dello Sport, Corriere della Sera, La Repubblica, and other Italian newspapers.

Some believe the Ferrari refugee’s deal will be for one season only – a stop-gap so that Mercedes boss Toto Wolff’s protege Kimi Antonelli can gain experience at Mercedes-powered Williams next year.

Others think a two-year contract – for 2025 and 2026 – is more likely, or at least an agreement with more open-ended ‘options’ beyond Sainz’s first season in silver.

Insiders are not sure if it will be a good move for the on-form Spaniard.

“Mercedes is a long way off the pace,” former Red Bull driver Robert Doornbos told Ziggo Sport. “Even (Fernando) Alonso indicated that he didn’t want to sign there.”

La Gazzetta dello Sport, however, is convinced that Sainz-to-Mercedes really is about to happen – with Audi-owned Sauber appearing to have been his only real alternative.

That Italian sports newspaper thinks Audi has instead kicked off talks with Alpine’s disillusioned driver duo, Pierre Gasly and Esteban Ocon.

Correspondent Luigi Perna thinks Antonelli will debut for Williams next year at the young age of 18, while Sergio Perez remains alongside Max Verstappen at Red Bull.

As for Sainz-to-Mercedes, Germany’s major Bild newspaper thinks a deal will not be announced “in the next few weeks”.

No matter what happens, 29-year-old Sainz will remain at Ferrari for the rest of the 2024 season – where so far he has looked better than Charles Leclerc.

“I have to say that from last year, in the second part of the season, I saw incredible growth from Carlos,” said former F1 driver Vitantonio Liuzzi.

“I didn’t expect to see Leclerc under such pressure and in difficulty this year,” he told Corriere dello Sport, “but he is suffering from Sainz’s performances.

“Next year, he (Leclerc) will have Lewis Hamilton next to him, so I hope Charles can find himself again. He will be fundamental for the balance of the reds.”

Comments

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

More in News

Trouble Brewing At Alpine After Monaco Incident

Trouble Brewing At Alpine After Monaco Incident

It would be "stupidity" if Alpine sidelined Esteban Ocon over ...
Adrian Newey

Ferrari No Longer Chasing Adrian Newey?

Ferrari may have stepped back from trying to secure the ...
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 26: Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (1) Oracle Red Bull Racing RB20 on track during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 26, 2024 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202405260949 // Usage for editorial use only //

Performance Problems A Mystery For Red Bull

The recent performance trend in Formula 1 is revealing an ...
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 26: The car of Sergio Perez of Mexico and Oracle Red Bull Racing is recovered from the track after crashing during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 26, 2024 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) *** BESTPIX *** // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202405260966 // Usage for editorial use only //

F1 Must React To Bizarrely Boring Monaco GP

As Charles Leclerc and Ferrari celebrated, the Formula 1 world ...
Scuderia Ferrari, team celebration, LECLERC Charles (mco), Scuderia Ferrari SF-24, portrait, victory during the Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2024, 8th round of the 2024 Formula One World Championship from May 23 to 26, 2024 on the Circuit de Monaco, in Monaco - Photo Eric Alonso / DPPI

Charles Leclerc Completes His Monaco Masterpiece

Charles Leclerc has finally shaken off his Monaco taboo, winning ...

Trending on F1 Chronicle